In class yesterday, my English teacher started talking about how Big Brother [from 1984] is like God, because nobody has seen him yet people have faith he exists. She then went on to say that people with faith in a deity are putting their faith in absolutely nothing, because there is no proof- they are therefore being illogical because logic relies on reason.
This really bugged me for two reasons. Firstly, because I don’t think you’re allowed to challenge a teacher’s spiritual beliefs in class [although she was kinda challenging mine]- I wanted to get up and have a full on discussion, but she was talking about the book and I was taking notes, etc.
The second thing that got my goat, though, was that I don’t actually have faith based on nothing. There is a lot of proof for my God, and, in deciding to become a Christian, I definitely used my frontal lobes. I didn’t get up and heatedly debate my English teacher, but if you’re searching for proof for God, let me give you the facts.
1) Jesus actually existed. There are over 1,000 documents corroborating every move he made, written not only by his disciples and the eyewitnesses to his miracles, but also by the reputable historians of the time, one of whom in particular, by the name of Josephus, was a Jew. If you’ve got one person on Earth who was probably reluctant to document the movements of the leader of the Christians, it’s probably him. Yet he did.
Now, we know about and believe the acts of Julius Caesar from approximately 50 documents that have been found about him. Not only were some of those written a thousand years after his life [while many of Jesus’ were written on the spot], but you may notice a seriously minimal number there. The fact stands, though, that historians do not dispute what happened in Caesar’s life. Therefore, you’d be pretty sure that Jesus was real.
2) Not only were documents written about Jesus after him, but before him. For about 3,000 years before Jesus was even born, prophesies about what he would do, who he would be, how he would be born and how he would die were also written. Everything in Jesus’ life fits in somewhere in the Bible.
“He died without a thought for his own welfare,
beaten bloody for the sins of my people.
They buried him with the wicked,
threw him in a grave with a rich man,
Even though he’d never hurt a soul
or said one word that wasn’t true.”
3) This is one you may have heard before, but look out your window. If the Earth had 2% more or less oxygen in its atmosphere, we would die. If anything had gone wrong during the creation of the universe we would cease to exist. A few meters closer to the sun, for instance, and our planet would have burned up before it had even started. The Earth is nearly perfect, and so are our human bodies. As a Biology student doing my HSC course, there is so much I have to remember that I cannot even comprehend a God who could imagine and then create such a world, and yet we live every day in it. Desensitise your senses for a second, go outside, and witness the biggest piece of proof for God you could ever lay eyes on.
4) Getting to the thick of it, Jesus himself said he was God. C.S. Lewis challenges us with the idea that, as Jesus said many times he was the son of God, was he a lunatic, a liar or Lord? He did many sane things and lived a normal life, he told the truth about many things as well- that leaves many with the only option left that Jesus Christ was the Lord.
5) This one is the most personal. God was once described to me like wind. I can’t see him, smell him, hear him or taste him, but I can feel him. A lot of people have told me stories they would swear by of having felt him literally, like shivers or goosebumps. If you think they’re making it up, there have been thousands if not millions of people throughout history who have been so convinced that Jesus really was the real thing that they died for him. Speaking of Caesar’s, the Roman Emperor Nero used to use Christians as human candles, roll them down hills in barrels full of nails, have them crucified and thrown into pits with lions, and yet they stuck by their testimony. I believe Jesus is real, and I’ve got the proof because I’ve seen the way he’s worked in other people’s lives and my own. I’ve felt God, I’ve experienced him. If you think that’s a load of crap, I encourage you to try God out for yourself- go to church once or twice, check out the Bible. There is proof for God, and it’s everywhere.
“Having eyes do you not see, and having ears do you not hear? “ Mark 8:18a